Salary £ 45000 – 51000
Overton is a socially conscious startup focused on making government policy more transparent: we help researchers, journalists and the public to see the evidence and influences behind real world guidelines, laws and regulations.
Want to see the research behind national climate change plans, or the influences pushing different COVID policies? Overton is where you go.
Our customers range from UN & EU agencies to think tanks, big charities and dozens of universities. Our primary product is a large, searchable database of government policy that we text mine to pull out topics, links to academic papers, people and more.
The founding team is experienced, friendly and genuinely cares about the space. We’re growing quickly and we want to make sure that we’re building an amazing relationship with our users and are supporting their needs. That’s where you come in…
Your new role
We’re looking for an enthusiastic Client/Product Support Specialist to join our ‘Engagement and Training’ team. You will help our clients make the most of their Overton subscription by providing user support and training and collecting and analysing their feedback to help shape our platform. The work of the ‘Engagement and Training’ team is a vital bridge between our end users and the rest of the product team.
We’re particularly interested in applicants with experience working with academic audiences and/or those who have experience providing training and customer support to a wide variety of stakeholders. Any previous education or experience in the policy sphere would be an asset!
Alongside the rest of the ‘Engagement and Training’ team you’ll be designing and delivering amazing training sessions and support for our clients:
- You’ll develop a deep understanding of the Overton platform, the data it collects and how clients use it, keeping track of interesting use cases and user projects and research
- You’ll work closely with clients to understand their training needs
- You’ll be answering support queries and helping address customers’ feedback
- You’ll create and update training materials and articles
- You’ll act as a vital bridge between our users and the rest of the company, feeding their views and requirements into product development discussions, helping to prioritize new features and contributing to the evolution of the product in real time
- You’ll collaborate with other team members on projects and company initiatives as required
- Experience working with academic audiences, e.g. within a university library, academic publisher, research funder or similar
- Passionate about improving the quality of policymaking
- Awareness of issues related to research impact and/or bibliometrics landscape
- Experience designing and delivering online training sessions about using online tools/databases
- Experience analysing data using Excel or similar and generating reports
- Experience producing training materials or user guides (design skills not required)
- Excellent ability to understand and pre-empt user needs
- Confident presenting in public and to senior audiences in
- Organised, self-motivated and happy working both independently and as a team
- Full of ideas about how to improve customer experience
- Curious and always learning
How we work
We know everyone works best in different ways, so we offer flexible working as standard and we are offering this role as hybrid office/remote, with a minimum of 4 days per month in London (we have nice office space very close to Euston!).
We are a small team and mainly collaborate using Slack, video calls and regular all-company meetings to see each other in person.
How we hire
1. Apply by emailing us on firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a non-generic cover letter that explains why you are right for this role and why it interests you. We’ll get back to you within a week.
2. We’ll follow up by email with any questions we might have about your application, usually around logistics or your expectations about the role.
3. We’ll schedule an initial 30-minute call to discuss the role and your experience, to see if they look like a good fit.
4. The first interview will be about an hour long and can be either in person or online.
5. For the second interview we’ll ask you to prepare a 20 minute presentation to the team, with 10 minutes for questions afterwards. Again this can be online or in person.
5. We’ll make an offer. We’ll be interviewing a number of candidates so there may be a short delay, but we will try to keep you informed throughout the process.
We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis and would like to hire into this role ASAP, so please get in touch as soon as possible if you’re interested.
Hybrid and flexible working
A supportive, friendly work environment within a company that cares about its staff and its impact on the world (we are accredited by the Living Wage Foundation and the FSB Good Business Charter and we’re aiming to become net zero this year!)
The chance to have a real, customer facing impact on the product and team from your first week here
Competitive salary, dependent on experience
We’ll provide a new Mac, PC or Linux laptop along with a stipend for other equipment
Enhanced employer pension contribution of 6%
Generous annual leave entitlement of 28 days per year excluding bank holidays
Enhanced family leave and pay policies (subject to full conditions, available on request) including:
After 6 months’ service, we’ll pay 90% of normal basic pay for the first 3 months of maternity leave and shared parental leave (less any taken as maternity/paternity leave)
After 6 months’ service, we’ll pay 90% of normal basic pay for 6 weeks of paternity leave
With no minimum length of service, you can take up to 6 weeks’ paternity leave, including 2 weeks paid at 90% of normal basic pay.